If you’re a mom looking for a second career, why not consider healthcare? Healthcare professions offer good growth opportunities; in fact, employment of healthcare occupations is projected to grow 14 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than average, adding more jobs than other occupational groups. Many healthcare positions are flexible, which is important if you’re raising a family. What’s more, you may already possess some key skills necessary for a healthcare job.
In many ways, moms have plenty of skills that prepare them for a career in healthcare
- Moms tend to be sensitive and have the ability to notice when things are about to go wrong. When something is wrong with a patient, it’s the job of the medical professionals to figure out what’s going on. Moms are accustomed to noticing things that aren’t quite right and taking action to fix them before anything bad happens.
- Moms need empathy, and so do healthcare professionals. Mothers naturally develop empathy, helping their children work through problems. That empathy comes in handy in a healthcare job, because patients facing scary health problems need a listening ear and a kind and gentle touch.
- The ability to multitask is central to motherhood and healthcare. Medical professionals have to wear many hats, but that’s nothing new for moms. Being a mom can be chaotic, but when you’ve learned to manage your busy days with your kids, managing all the duties of a healthcare career will be well within your grasp.
- Communication skills are key, whether you’re managing a family or working as a healthcare professional. Clear communication keeps a family running smoothly, and when you’re interacting with patients, your communication skills will help you provide the very best care.
- Moms have to be organized and pay attention to detail. The skills you use managing your busy family are the same skills you’ll need while scheduling appointments, keeping track of medical records, recording vitals and communicating information.
- Self-control is important in mothering and healthcare. Situations in healthcare professions can trigger intense emotions, and it’s important that you don’t ever let them impact your work. Fortunately, moms are well-versed in managing emotions and staying calm and in control in the face of a crisis.
Are you ready to start a new career in a healthcare position? ABC Training Center can provide the training you need. A healthcare training institute that NYC students trust, ABC Training Center been serving students in the New York City area since 1972. We provide high-quality, nationally certified programs that prepare students for meaningful work in any medical setting. Continue browsing to learn more about our medical training programs in New York, contact us through our website, or call us at 718-618-5589.